Sunday 31 January 2016

Unorganised week and an unorganised post

Since today is the last day of January I feel like it’s a good time for a little evaluation on my goals for this year – regular exercise and a healthy, varied diet.
But before I do that I would like to share that I have completed “Dry January”! Yaaay! And yesterday I just thought that that’s already one month done, why not try another? I didn’t really miss having a drink so looks like there is nothing stopping me from continuing with the challenge in February.
This week has been a little hectic – a few days in university and a couple of shifts at work which has made me lazier. I only exercised twice, arms and abs in the gym on Friday and parkrun on Saturday (I got a PB! :D). I have to say that I felt quite proud of myself in the gym on Friday as for the first time I managed proper-ish press ups – no more than 5 at a time and while for some people this wouldn’t even be a warm up a feel like for me it’s an achievement and a sign of slowly getting stronger.

My diet this week consisted mostly of foods I’m familiar with and could cook quickly, like Quorn spaghetti Bolognese. I also went out for a meal with my friends to a local pub. I’ve been there a few times now and have never been disappointed with the food. This time I opted for the fish pie – BEST DECISION I MADE ALL WEEK! I think it had salmon, smoked haddock and king prawns in a dill sauce in it and it tasted amazing! One of the days this week I also worked a long shift in work and after getting off the bus that evening I was walking past a pizzeria and it smelled so good I went in and bought one to take away, in my opinion (this might be controversial) this pizza was a million times better than Domino’s. Last night however I experimented a little and made something I haven’t made before – roasted aubergine with tahini rice but I have to say I wasn’t a big fan. I will write more about this one when I do my Deliciously Ella review, hopefully in a few weeks. I also made some treats – black bean brownies. I’m not sure I got the texture right as they seem to be a little too gooey in the middle but it’s only my first attempt, I’ll experiment more when I made them again which I definitely will as they taste so good! They have no sugar in them, just a little bit of honey, which means they’re not very sweet but personally that’s why I like them – they’re not at all sickly, just pure cocoa goodness.
I feel like January is just the beginning of a busy year, but overall I’m trying to achieve my goals although quite often it’s a challenge, especially exercising regularly. I have definitely been thinking about my diet more and have been more conscious of the choices I make. Yes, I may have a take away once in a while but all my other meals have become healthier and more adventurous. With so much food inspiration out there – cookbooks, Instagram and pinterest – I am still excited to try new things, and maybe at some point in the distant future, maybe even try to invent something of my own once I get used to the new ingredients I’m using.

For some reason I feel like this week was very unorganised for me, I feel like I was constantly busy but haven’t actually achieved much, especially in terms of my university work. I think that this week I will employ more ‘to do’ lists and make better use of my diary as it looks like this week will also be busy even though I only have three half days on campus. 
I have created an Instagram account for my blog - click the button on the right hand side to see what I'm up to when I don't post on the blog :)

No comments:

Post a Comment