Thursday 14 January 2016

Back to reality

With the second week of January came going back to university and facing reality again after a three week break. With a 9am start on the Monday it was not exactly easy to get up on time – I may not be the type of person to sleep in until one all the time but 7am is a little too early. It’s still only Thursday but so far I’ve had a fairly busy week – six hours of lectures every day apart from Wednesday and already talk of assignments and other work that needs to be completed.

Although I have a fair amount of work to complete I did my best to get some kind of balance of work and play and started my week off with a run straight after lectures. I have to say that even though it was cold I really enjoyed it and it definitely gave me more energy to do a little bit more work when I got back after being stuck in one, stuffy room all day. Now I just need to make sure I keep it up - 101 days until my 10k run!

I also found a new way to unwind after a busy day – I got myself a colouring book and it may have been one of the best investments I made so far this year. It’s such a simple idea but I love the fact that I can leave my phone upstairs and just focus on one thing. And since some of my housemates have colouring books too we can catch up and colour together. Here’s a photo of my first coloured in picture (from a colouring book called ‘Tropical Wonderland’ by Millie Marotta).

We also had our first netball training session since everyone got back after Christmas. Even though it was freezing cold it was so nice to run around in the fresh air for a little while – and run around is literally what I mean as I think my netball playing skills are questionable. A friend also persuaded me to go to the gym after training and even though I am aching all over today (need to remember to stretch properly next time) I definitely think that exercise makes me feel better and gives me more energy so dragging myself to the gym is definitely worth it in the end.

In terms of food I have tried some new recipes – this week is pretty much Deliciously Ella (deliciouslyella.com) blog recipes only as so many of them look incredible in her pictures. So on the menu so far: a kale and sweet potato stir fry which I modified slightly and added soy sauce instead of lemon juice and a green soup made with broccoli, spinach, and chickpeas (the recipe said cannellini beans but I didn’t have any). I will also admit to having a big, fat, greasy Domino’s on Tuesday night but I will blame Domino’s entirely for this as they texted me a deal that was just too good to miss out on ;) But it is all about balance and a treat now and again is a must.

      

No comments:

Post a Comment