Sunday 24 January 2016

Parkruns, HIIT and naughty food days

As we head towards the end of January I've come to the realisation of just how busy I am going to be over the next couple of months. With university deadlines already appearing on the horizon, a return to my part time job and visiting my boyfriend and family there isn't that much time for relaxing and taking time out.
Last weekend I took part in the local Parkrun (as I mentioned in my last post) and considering it was my first longer run in weeks and first park run in 8 months I was very happy with my time - 32:57. I would be extremely happy if I could keep that pace up for my 10k run! 
Since Saturday was "leg day" on Sunday I decided to go to the gym and do some abs and arms. I know many people choose Sunday as their rest day during the week but with being so busy during the week I decided I'd rather break up my day off with some exercise. Being a gym newbie I didn't know how half of the machines worked so after a tutorial from a friend of mine I felt a little more prepared. 
Then on Monday I decided to try something new - High Intensity Interval Training which I loved so much I signed up for next week's class the next day! The class involved a leg circuit, consisting of backward lunges and squats, and a core circuit consisting of planks and crunches. We started off with 45 seconds of lunges followed by 15 seconds of rest, then 45 seconds of squats followed by a rest - we did this 4 times and then did the core circuit in the same way. I ached for 2 days after which just goes to show that you don't have to train for hours to work hard.
On Friday I managed to squeeze in a quick gym session but I have to say it didn't feel like I worked very hard - but apparently the only bad workout is the one that didn't happen so let's count this one in!
Yesterday I did park run again, this time with my boyfriend who visited me this weekend. He runs a lot faster than me so completed the 5k in about 25 minutes while I tried to beat my previous time and, according to my Fitbit app, I did. I think I did it in about 31 minutes but I don't know for sure because I never got my time which was fairly annoying but understandable considering how many people take part in the run. At the end of the day all that matters is that I did it and I pushed myself.

That afternoon the sun started to come out so we decided to head to the beach for a walk. Walking along the beach is definitely one of my favourite things to do, I find it very calming. 


Today I also repeated last week's routine of going to the gym to work on my abs and arms and I have to say I quite like this 3-4 day exercise routine with a break in the middle of the week.
Healthy eating wise lets just say that this week was a good balance haha. Some lovely vegetarian stir fries, pastas and soups but also some chips and cheesecake. My Deliciously Ella Every Day cookbook finally arrived on Thursday and I'm very keen to try many of the recipes in it. When it has been thoroughly tested I might consider writing more about it. 
It's Monday tomorrow so let's start it in a positive way - homemade meals, HIIT and hopefully some productive reading for my assignment. And also I'll quote something I've seen a while ago on the Internet - we have the same amount of hours in a day as BeyoncĂ© so let's stop making excuses and make the most of it!


No comments:

Post a Comment