Saturday 28 May 2016

Sleep, exercise and diet aka a viscious circle

I think May is definitely the time of the year when the majority of students go into panic mode about deadlines - I still have two exams next week and one more piece of coursework due in July. I'm so jealous of everyone who has now finished the year and has a ridiculously long summer. Combined with working long hours over the last couple of weeks I couldn't be bothered to do anything other than sleep really - and even that routine got a little messed up.

First thing to go down the drain during the last 4 weeks was exercise. When I came home from work I just didn't have the energy to go out for a run and couldn't make yoga classes as I finished work after they started. 

Then its the diet. This month I've had pizza for dinner more times than I care to admit. I wasn't even adventurous with it, apart from one Sainsbury's vegetarian pizza it was all cheese and tomato. I have also now run out of healthier freezer meals that I made a couple of weeks ago which only addded to my 'pizza problem'. Oh and dinner usually ended with chocolate. Don't get me wrong - you've got to treat yourself from time to time but everyday is definitely too much. 

I have also been struggling with sleep which is unusual for me. I don't think the lack of exercise and comfort eating helped and with deadlines hanging over my head as well I found it really difficult to sleep. First of all I struggled to get to sleep - the classic racing mind, thinking of everything I still needed to do and worrying about totally pointless things. Then once I have fallen asleep I would wake up in the middle of the night a couple of times only to be woken up by my alarm at 5:50 when I had to go to work (or 6-7am by my body clock when I didn't have to go to work). But last night I finally slept well and this morning I was so excited about it I rang my boyfriend at half past 8 to tell him (waking him up as a result). 

All these 3 things combined meant that I just wanted to curl up in bed and sleep. It's a viscious circle because I know that all it takes to fix this is to go out for a half hour run (half an hour is 2% of our day by the way), prepare my lunches the night before to give myself more time to sleep in the morning and cook a big batch of food on the weekend to have meals for the week. But doing all that takes that little bit more energy than sitting on the sofa the whole evening and just sticking a pizza in the oven, and when I haven't slept well where do I get the energy from?

 I think there is only one cliché way to fix this - new week is going to be a fresh start. Sorting this out one by one just wouldn't work because I need to exercise to sleep and sleep to exercise so I need to do these two together. And if I'm addressing those two in one go I might as well get my butt in gear and cook proper food.  

If anyone has any tips on how to fit 10 hours of  work, 8 hours of sleep, commuting, cooking, exercising and housework into a day I would really appreciate it as I seem to be struggling at the moment.

I'll post an update on how I get on next week.

Have a good Bank Holiday weekend everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment