Saturday 23 April 2016

Weekly meal prep and money saving

Recently there has been a lot of media coverage on food wasted by supermarkets. Some companies have listened to their customer's opinion on the subject and have started making changes to reduce the amount of waste they produce. I think that a good example of this is Asda introducing their 'Wonky Veg Box' where for £3.50 you get 5kg of veg that didn't quite meet the shape criteria for the main shelves. Why hasn't anyone thought of this before? To me it makes no difference if a carrot is wonky or not, it will still taste like a carrot. I have attempted to get my hands on one of these boxes a couple of times but they're always sold out! But anyway, I'm digressing here. Different people will have different opinions on the subject of food waste - from there being nothing wring with it to it being unethical. And even though I strongly agree that wasting perfectly good carrots just because they're wonky when there are people starving is totally wrong, my reason for trying to avoid food waste is a lot more down to earth - money. Wasted food = wasted money and when I'm living off student loans and bursaries I can't afford to waste money on food I'm not going to eat. 

In order to avoid food waste preparation is key. My weekly food prep starts with my diary. Once I know how busy I am likely to be during the next week I can plan how much time I want to spend cooking. For example, I know that I will be out of the house for 10-12 hours Monday to Thursday next week so I need to make sure I plan my lunches and snacks well to keep me going as well as quick and easy dinners because slaving over the cooker for two hours will be the last thing I want to do at 7pm. And this is where my lovely magnetic meal planner, a gift from my boyfriend, comes in. It is one of the best organisational tools you can buy. My one is from Paperchase and cost around £8 which seems pricey however you need to remember that you only use 1 sheet a week so it will last a good couple of years. Of course you can also make your own versions or just use any odd piece of paper you can find, it doesn't matter where you write it. 

The meal planner is where I write my dinner plans. Once I decided on ideas I can write my shopping list to make sure I buy all the ingredients I will need. 

Then it's time for lunches. I don't write these ideas down because not much changes in my lunchbox from week to week so by now I know what I need to buy. Before I go shopping I will check what I need to stock up on and add that to my shopping list. On a typical day where I am out of the house for a long time my lunchbox consists of:

  • Yoghurt (preferably natural Greek)
  • Oatcakes (dipped in yoghurt they're a perfect morning snack)
  • Nuts
  • Salad or a sandwich
  • 2-3 different types of fruit
  • Sunbites

My weekday breakfasts tend to be pretty boring (it's definitely something I should work on). It's usually toast, porridge or granola. I like making my own granola as I find that the shop-bought ones are too sweet to have so early in the morning and it costs a fraction of the ready made ones. I don't currently plan my breakfasts and, similarly to my lunches, I buy things I know I am going to eat. 

In terms of snacks - I tend to have them anyway because I use them for my lunches. But if I come across a recipe I want to try I will add the ingredients to my shopping list ready for when I have time to make them. This weekend for example, I decided to try making some homemade Nakd-style bars and I have to say that they turned out incredible. They taste like the shop-bought ones but cost less than half the supermarket price.

So, with my shopping list complete I head for the supermarket. Since my list includes only the things I am going to use for the meals I planned for next week, provided I stick to it, I'm not going to buy too much food which would only end up in the bin. And this is where the question of promotional offers and bulk buying comes in. Buying in bulk certainly is cheaper however bulk buying fruit and veg is pointless when shopping for one because there's only so much you can eat before it goes off. Cupboard foods, such as pasta, are the products I tend to buy more of however still only when I need it. When it comes to offers I'm obviously not going to turn down a buy one get one free but also within reason - if it's fresh food it needs to be on my shopping list. 

If I follow this process chances are there isn't going to be any food to waste, which means I get to spend the money I would spend on extra food on something else.

Home-made cacao, nut and fruit bars


No comments:

Post a Comment